I captured these great costumes near Hongdae Park on October 28th, 2012. I apologize for missing the Zombie Walk, but I was negotiating for camera equipment in Chungmurro. I still think I did the wonderful Zombie Nation justice with my photographs. However, if some of you want to dress up again for no good reason and scare Koreans in the subway I will photograph it for free. For those of you logging in from the Western side of the world, Halloween is intense for the foreign population of Seoul. We take it seriously, perhaps more seriously than Christmas. However, I observed far more Koreans involved in the festivities this year, which I was really excited about. Before we begin, I wanted to make a few notes.
1. One piece animal costumes are officially out– I know many of you like to slip on a one-piece gerbil, duck, gopher, or zebra. These costumes amused me at Korea Burn and the Formula one races. However, when sixty-plus foreigners wear them at one time in one place you might as well worn an extra tight pair of jeans from Uni-Glow. These costumes are lazy and should be abandoned immediately.
2. Zombies are in and Vampires are out– This was definitely the year of the Zombie. I’m unsure if I saw one vampire outfit. Since Twilight forever ruined the job class of vampires, this is a good thing. I’m willing to bet Walking Dead impacted costumes in Korea and all over the world.
3. Photobombing- Photobombing is all the rage this year. It’s awesome and it’s funny and I get it. However, when someone is taking a picture while his underpaid zombie assistant is redirecting his flash by holding a reflector while another drunk, impatient zombie is letting him take their picture, then photobombing is not cool. Except, I still laugh my ass off when I open up some of these pictures.
4. Jobless- No one hired me for Halloween. I’m a little upset because I’m worth 100 bucks to hire for an event. I could get angry or I could just make an awesome post while event holders look at semi-blurry and uninspiring photography of their events. The whole point of hiring an event photographer is to create a buzz for your event or promotion. Good luck generating more views then this post. Also, thank you for allowing me an opportunity to get more creative!
5. Where is my picture?– Fear not, if you did not make this post you will find your picture on kimchibytes on facebook. I’ll be uploading them throughout the week.
Holy $#### Award
“Coach Hines” from Mad TV. -Genius
Most Foreign Costume to Korea
Best Korean Contribution
“The Walking Dead K-Pop Group”
Best Group Idea
Best Eyes (and “why are you taking my picture” face)
Best in-costume Characters
Best Character from a Movie
-Happy Birthday Big Guy-
-A special thanks to everyone who let me work with them and a very special thanks to Leslie and Cortney who worked with me the whole night. We made some magic!-